View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have no idea why so many are surprised that a lot of hunters are such bad shots. Spend any amount of time at a gun range just before hunting season and you will clearly see just how bad they are. They are that bad shooting off a bench, you never see any of them practising off a knee or offhand. The guys that don't even bother to sight their guns in are usually even worse, so that amounts to a whole lot of people that can't shoot for beans. The average "Celebrity" hunter is usually no different. They do not spend anywhere near enough time shooting to become truly proficient at it.
My previous club had a 500m range, and there were gongs and silhouettes set out for shooters to use. Once they were sighted in , a fair number of people would shoot at the gongs or silhouettes at 200 and 300m, and some all of the way to 500m. Even shooting off of a bench, there were many misses at 200 and 300m, so I wouldn't expect much from those people in the field. Yet many of those people , would not hesitate to try a 400 to 500m shot at a game animal. And those were the people that actually bothered to sight in and practise a bit, many hunters don't bother with that, and would be even less competent. So the misses and wounded animals on the hunting shows, don't surprise me at all.