View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 PM

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
I'm all for protecting myself while out in the bush, but time and time again, bear spray has been far more effective and easier to deploy than any firearm. It takes about 2 seconds for a bear to get from 30 yards away, to right on top of you. Realistically, what are the chances of anyone getting a well-placed slug off in that time...especially if your heart's beating at 180+!!!

Bearspray is light, easy and fast to deploy, and it sets up an instant 10 foot wall of pain between you and the bear. It also makes the bear have a 2nd thought about coming close to a person next time.

A person is injured in more than 50% of bear encounters involving a firearm. That number drops to less than 2% when bearspray is used.

To me, it's a no-brainer.
Completely agree with this. Don't have the research or stats in front of me or memorized, but I seem to recall what Ozzzzz said is pretty much bang on (no pun intended).

Every bear I've encountered (knock wood) has been while in a vehicle. And I've traipsed all over AB from Grande Prairie to the Crowsnest Pass for 28 years. Guess I'm lucky. Other fisherman in the woods carrying firearms makes me as nervous as much as the bears do.

I carry bear spray all the way.

Smitty