View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Holy smokes this thread took off.

Quote:
Barnes are not a good expansion bullet
Barnes average a little less expansion than bonded/cup and core bullets. Barnes does average more penetration though.

The thing I like about Barnes is that they penetrate. This means I can reliably shoot smaller rifles that recoil nicely such as .270's/.30-06 and similiar. Can also shoot the 7mm08's, .257's, 6.5mm's etc...

Anyhow here is a thread with some cool info on bullets and their performance in wet newspaper

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=162814

From my experience a lung/heart shot animal with pass through penetration can run upwards of 150-200 yards before piling up. Other times a lung/heart pass through will drop them on the spot.

The only two shots that I've known to drop animals 100% all the time as far as my experience goes is a shot that goes straight through the brisket of an animal looking straight at you. The bullet penetrates through the chest to some point near the rear. (I have yet to experience an animal run from this but I'm sure it will happen at some point.)

The other is when the bullet breaks the spine, be it above the chest, near the rear, above the shoulders or the spine in the neck... This shot is 100% reliable (in my experience) to drop the animal.

TSX/berger/partition/accubond...it doesn't matter. I shoot accubonds. Performance and price match what I'm looking for in a bullet.

Last edited by Jerry D; 04-10-2010 at 12:12 PM.