View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
I can just see the Barnes bullet avocates rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. Chuck, you just took all credability away with this post and proven to non-Barnes users that this bullet is subordinate to the true expansion bullets. You are right that " holes kill ". When using Barnes bullets "lots" of holes are needed. Out of 98 big game animals 95% were one shot kills using Nosler Ballistic Tips except for one, I used a TSX. That lung shot buck ran over 500 yards before fall over dead. If it wasen't for wide open country and snow I would of lost the buck . The 1% were a finishing neck shot. The TSX is a relativily new bullet and in recent years I have heard many stories from my hunting clients and other hunters of lost animals because of the these narrow expansion projectiles. The Barnes bullets is the closest thing to a FMJ. Chuck, take some advice from experience for a change.
Well, here is where the rubber meets the road. Your 98 big game animals are not going to win any volume competitions here. But your lack of use of the Barnes TSX just might. I have shot big game with Nosler Ballistic Tips, Winchester Fail Safes, Nosler Partitions, Nosler Partition Golds, Nosler Accubonds, Hornady Interlocks, Speer Grand Slams, Speer Hot Cores, Speer Boat Tails, Swift A-Frames, Swift Sciroccos, Barnes X, Barnes TSX, Barnes TTSX, Barnes XLC and I'm sure I'm missing some. Not to mention the volumes of game I've seen shot by hunting partners. I have shot, and seen shot, more game with Barnes bullets than any of them. Why? Because they work when things aren't perfect. Have I seen some things that make me go Hmmm when using them. I have. Two years ago I had a Mule Deer buck shot at 391 yds through both lungs run a LONG ways after being hit. People that post here witnessed it first hand, heck I even have it on video. I will contend that I darn well hit him to high, but that is another story. You also see the picture of the photos I took of the TSX that didn't expand at all. The deer hit with that bullet went all of three feet. But you know what, I am still using them and in fact bought a bunch more yesterday. I am under no illusion that any bullet works perfectly every time. In fact I think I just said the more game I shoot the less I know for sure.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 04-10-2010 at 09:33 AM.