View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
This thread has been a great wealth of info. I purchased a new boat in October. It came with a Lowrance Hook 5 fishfinder/chartplotter with navionics. All new to me. Last unit I bought was several years ago, a humminbird 570. I was thinking of adding something able to connect to the motorguide xi5 80lb I have coming to replace the powerdive 70lb minnkota the boat came with, put the hook 5 up in the bow and put the upgraded unit as my dash unit. I was thinking a Lowrance Elite 7 or Elite 9 unit? The motorguide I ordered has the pinpoint gps, wireless remote and sonar. I hope I’m not barking up the wrong tree with these upgrades?
I think you're on exactly the right track.

The Elite 7 or 9 TI will work well with the Motorguide. I'm not a big fan of controlling the trolling motor from the sonar unit or following the contour, but it's a really nice setup. It allows you to do those things, as well as displaying your motor info on the screen - speed, heading, %power, etc..., and the biggest advantage is it allows you to select a waypoint on your sonar unit as your anchor point for the spot lock feature, which is really nice.

Unfortunately, the Hook unit is not networkable at all, but it will work just fine as a standalone unit connected to the transducer in your trolling motor. The Elite units are only capable of NEMA 2000 networking (waypoints and trails), so that's another reason it makes sense to go Elite if you're pairing those two units.