View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM

My mistake, I thought you were supporting the shock wave theory. The actual amount of energy transferred is tiny, much is converted to heat. The remainder is transferred over the distance of the wound negating any comparison to being hit by a car etc where the transfer is complete at point of contact. Flesh is very resilient and while the temporary wound channel distorts it in a ripple effect there just isn't enough fluid present to cause a shock wave and after the temporary wound channel closes the permanent one is left. Barring a frag field, permanent damage is limited to within 1/2" of the bullets passage. The bison stays standing because of the volume of blood in the body. If you think of critters as bath tubs and all have the same size drain hole the larger tub takes longer to drain. i seen several bison shot by different guns and only two flattened the critter on the spot, a 300 WBY mag to the spine and a 25/06 behind the ear. None of the big guns like a 416 Rem Mag did anything other than put a drain hole in the big buggers.