Thread: Truck problems
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM

Default Is it at LOW SPEED on acceleration? in 4 x 4?

A clunk like what you are describing is consistent with a front propeller shaft, and while I am not familiar with the front axle on an 06 Dakota, on the full size "American Axle" Dana front ends, the propeller shaft always is spinning as the lock up is in the transfer case, and not the hubs. (no locking hubs on the Dana front ends).

If the spline shaft is worn, and the u joints in the CV are worn, yes they will flop around. Simply pull the shaft and try again to see if it goes away. Your shaft is shot anyway, so go to Pat's Driveline and bring in the old one for your core. Pat's will have a spline shaft with a grease zirk that can be lubricated, with new U joints and new Yokes. Not worth the grief to rebuild a propeller shaft any more.

The rear bushings for the control arm can move under torque, so I can see that contributing to the noise, but the vibration is either tires or alignment or rear drive shaft U joints being shot as well.

IF you make a hard turn and there is noise, or wobble on recovery, then that is the "outboard" U joints in the steering knuckle of the axle. These are a royal pain, as you end up pulling the axle shaft to change them.

I have had greasable outboard u joints put in on past axle rebuilds, but the caps on one alignment of the U joint are always too tight, and don't lubricate no matter how much grease you pump in. Eventually, they run dry just like the "lubed for life" U joint, and when you hear the clicking and feel the drag and the wobble on recovery from the turn, you just say, that's life!

Good luck on it.

Drewski