Thread: Snaring seminar
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 01:34 AM

Wolfcrazy and Martys' comments are right on point. I thank both of you for your comments and clarity.

I just wanted to comment on Parfleche's comment about "who are our Alberta instructors?". Parfleche needs to know the bigger picture. And maybe others won't have to wonder also.

A recognised college used to be involved in certifying instructors and maybe still are. It used to be that Lakelake College was involved in administrating a certified (offcampus) program called "The Canadian Trapper Instructor Training Program."
The instructor course was recognised by the Agreement on International Humane Trapping Standards(AIHTS), which the global fur industry is indirectly based on. Humane trap testing, development and certification recognised by the AIHTS is done mostly in Canada and a good portion of testing and development is done in Alberta, making Alberta a leader in championing today's global fur trade. I'm pretty sure our instructors are kept up to date on using the traps and snares that are certified. Any courses being offered and paid for must have to be certified by some aspect of the provincial fur management program. The provincial fur management works in conjuction with the canadian governments programs governed through the Fur Institute of Canada.

I trust those who are instructing our trapping programs and thank them for their efforts to keep our trapping practices to a certain standard.

A good website for the big picture of everything about fur in Canada is 'The Fur Institute of Canada'. https://fur.ca/about-us/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 07-01-2018 at 01:50 AM.