View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Banned

Default The victims of suicide

First off, I have to say I understand mental illness.... or at least the reality of it.

A little over a week ago one of my sons best friends Dad committed suicide.

Devastating

We weren't best friends by any means, but with our sons being friends, and really close/best friends, we spent a fair bit of time together. We were only a couple years apart so we were both on the same level. A couple years back him and his wife separated, I never got into it, never questioned it, just accepted the new arrangement.

From the outside it did seem she was moving on and dealing with the separation a little better than he was, but I wasn't really looking into it too deeply.

Last Saturday my son and his buddy were hanging out here at our house with another friend and all seemed business as usual. Tuesday comes along and my son shows me a post on instagram from his friend saying how the funeral was today and how he wishesd his Dad knew how he looked in his eyes, what a great father he was, how much he meant to him, and that there was so many other ways to move on with his life rather than committing suicide.

A 15yr old boy, a 17yr old sister, both left to deal with the reality of their father committing suicide. My heart is aching thinking about what the father was going through, but even more so what those kids have to deal with now, and for the rest of their lives.

The young fella was over again tonight, I don't dare bring it up, I'm just pretending it's just another day even though I know it's not. I've told my son to be there for him, but not to bring it up. I told my son if he wants to talk about it he will, but is this the right advice? Is this the same logic that let things get so far for his Dad that he took his own life?

I don't know

If there is anyone reading this right now and have thought about or are thinking about suicide...... DON'T DO IT. It may seem like the easiest way out, but you tear up the people who love you, so many more than you can imagine. This fella wasn't in my day to day circle, but we spent a few outings together and I miss him dearly. If you can see the look on this young boys face, see the hurt in his eyes, I guarantee it's not something you would wish on an enemy, let alone the ones you love. Nothing is worth a life. If sh!t is going bad today, there is always a way to straighten it out and I GUARANTEE that in time you will be happy and looking back on that time of your life as an experience that made you stronger.

Please, if you're going through hell, keep going because there will be a better day ahead. Suicide may seem like solution to your problems, but it will destroy the ones who love you.