View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobee View Post
When I was practicing this summer, I had a bunch of 11 inch paper plates I used for target practice. Through the modified choke of one of my mossberg 500s, my results were something like this:

40 yards and closer - 100% probability of both balls hitting the plate

45 yards - 60% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

50 yards - 30% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

55 yards - 10% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 50% probability of one ball hitting the plate

60 yards - 10% probability of 1 ball hitting the plate

Worth noting is that I did my patterning tests with more than one gun and a bunch of different choke configurations - there was a big difference between guns. The best patterned as described above, but some were much worse.

I've hunted quite a bit with foster slugs in the past - my experience with them is that with a bead-sighted shotgun I can reliably hit my 11 inch dinner plate out to about 80 yards. So why would I purposely set out with a round I know to be inferior? That's a good question, and I don't really have an answer other than "they're different" and I take pleasure in experimenting/hunting with something different to see what it's all about.

Cheers,

Brobee
Thanks!