View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Good job. I'd say you are a better host than 90% of those on wild TV. I'd watch again.

That said, not sure about your choice of a 50 yard limit for range when the two balls are opening up to a 10 inch pattern at 45 yards. That seems pretty wide. Did you find that at least one ball went pretty much where you were aiming and the other scattered, or were they both scattered around the point of aim randomly? How did this compare to your past experience with slugs? Pease don't take my questions as condemnations, but merely questions. I've never used a shotgun to hunt deer but have thought about as it could extend my season a bit around here. Thanks.
When I was practicing this summer, I had a bunch of 11 inch paper plates I used for target practice. Through the modified choke of one of my mossberg 500s, my results were something like this:

40 yards and closer - 100% probability of both balls hitting the plate

45 yards - 60% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

50 yards - 30% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 100% probability of one ball hitting the plate

55 yards - 10% probability of both balls hitting the plate, 50% probability of one ball hitting the plate

60 yards - 10% probability of 1 ball hitting the plate

Worth noting is that I did my patterning tests with more than one gun and a bunch of different choke configurations - there was a big difference between guns. The best patterned as described above, but some were much worse.

I've hunted quite a bit with foster slugs in the past - my experience with them is that with a bead-sighted shotgun I can reliably hit my 11 inch dinner plate out to about 80 yards. So why would I purposely set out with a round I know to be inferior? That's a good question, and I don't really have an answer other than "they're different" and I take pleasure in experimenting/hunting with something different to see what it's all about.

Cheers,

Brobee