View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Interesting thread. Seems like our laws TRY to balance right of access and rights of the leaseholders, but they're not perfect. What's the population in Alberta these days - 4 million? Recreational access is going to become more and more of an issue I think. The people I know with lease land must be doing it wrong because none of them seem to be getting making much money off their lease land, especially not without putting in a lot of effort fencing etc. However, I do know of more than a few people who have had their land damaged by 4x4's etc without a request for access or who have had their fence cut.

Here's the bottom line, there is a limited amount of space and more and more people so we should make a real effort to be advocates for our chosen activity - i.e. Not only do the right thing but be seen to do the right thing. A little bit of online venting is harmless I guess but sure isn't productive either.

Best suggestion in this thread is to get out there during the offseason scouting and meet the landowners/leaseholders. Good luck out there!
You sir would get permission where others do not.

Attitude attitude attitude, it'll get you in or get the door slammed in your face.

Nobody likes to be pushed much less so when they have money invested and income at risk.

There's not one of the "It's my land too" crowd who would throw open the gates for the attitude they exhibit if they were the lease holder.

I have never in my life been denied access, on lease land or on deeded land. Granted I don't ask often but when I do, I try to see things from the land owners/lease holders prospective and that has always worked for me.

But I am also not desperate. There is plenty of crown land that no one has any claim to. Frankly I would rather avoid grazing leases and the crowds that descend on them every fall.

Honestly, if grazing leases were my only option I would find another way to enjoy the great outdoors. Who needs the hassles, and I don't mean from lease holders, I mean from the crowds. Add in some defensive lease holders and I'd rather shoot myself in the foot then go through that.

Hunting is not a right or a necessity. For most it is recreation. Just how much enjoyment does one get from fighting with lease holders and crowds of slobs?

I guess when you are used to having neighbors on every side taking up your parking spaces, blocking your driveway, maybe leased land is not so bad.
For me, living out here in the country where neighbors are few and neighbors are neighborly, lease land is just too much drama.

I hunt in part to get back to nature, not to get back to the big city.

Where I hunt there are no roads, no fences, no garbage, no crowds and I wouldn't have it any other way. If leases and drama was all there was available I'd find another way to enjoy nature.

George Bernard Shaw