Thread: First rifle
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A friend started his daughter on a 6.5CM, with reduced loads, the recoil is less than factory 243win, and he can just step up the loads as she can handle more recoil.

X2 on this. I voted .270 Win....

I was already set up for reloading .270 Win as my wife shoots one.

When my daughter decided she wanted to deer hunt I found some .270 Hornady light recoil ammo which had similar recoil to a .243 for her to use in my wife's rifle. She shot them well and has been using them for deer the last couple seasons with no issues.

I purchased a 2nd .270 for my son to use when he was old enough to deer hunt as well using the Hornady light recoil ammo again. His had the spacers for adjusting the LOP which definitely improved his shooting. He had no issues shooting it and stepped up to full loads this past fall and is also shooting them well.

I went with the larger .270 with the reduced recoil loads so they can step up to moose/elk/bear later on with full loads and not have to switch rifles. I also would have considered the 7mm-08/308/30-06 if I wasn't already set up for the .270.

I would do it the same again, especially now with ammo/components harder to find if you have to step up to a larger gun later on......

My two cents.

Last edited by 7magtime; 03-01-2023 at 10:00 AM.