View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
I can't see how baiting is going to spread cwd any quicker. Yes when you have the flu you don't run around and spread the flu, totally agree. Now think of how far deer travel to get to a good food sorce now. I can see deer coming from miles to grain elevators in middle of winter so way I see it we have alot of deer over alot of sq miles traveling to minimal amount of feeding areas right now. Just a guess in the dark but lets say that most the deer in a 10 mile radius comes to one feeding spot. Now consider people putting out piles of grain legally, deer would not be traveling as far meaning not as much chance of meeting a new deer with diesiase. Kinda like not going to the city in flu season but stay with friends an family.
Alberta has had it illegal to bait way before any of us heard of CWD now its just a good excuse.
The thing is, deer hit multiple bait sites so the chance of transmission to new populations is actually greater as the number of concentrated feeding sites increases. It puts deer in close contact with each other that likely would not have been before.

Say for example site A and Site B are 10 miles apart.....the deer from each are unlikely to meet but throw Sites C and D in the middle of them and now deer from A and B risk exposure to whatever the other had....even if indirectly.