View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I don't know about Weatherby, but interesting that you post this. A couple weeks ago, I was at the gun counter at Cabelas watching a group of young guys check out guns. The dude had a T3 Hunter in 300 asm in his hands. I looked at the gun he was fondling and noticed that it had tiger striping in the really dark wood from the forend tip to the butt stock. I asked to look at the gun when the young fellas left. I told the dude working there that I had never seen a piece of wood like that on a Tikka. He said that he has seen so many of them lately that he feels that the pattern is "screened" on during the staining process. After looking at the consistency of it, I tended to agree with him.

You never know...
This doesn't surprise be at all.
The Berreta group ( of which Tikka is owned ) has had a finish called " extra wood for quite some time - the shotguns especially.

Even the Pennsylvania/ Kentucky rifles were often " tiger striped" with muriatuc acid or with flame .
Hacker Marten was a famous muzzle loading gunsmith and did restorations for the Smithsonian, and his method was detailed by Ned Roberts in one of his books.
Alvin Linden also detailed flame finishing in his book on stock making.
Cat