View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Default Sighting in a hunting rifle??

Confession time: I use a non-weighted lead sled for load development. I then confirm my zero shooting off my backpack, prone. Nothing beats lots of trigger time in field positions. I also find it more fun to practice and hone my skill, rather than parking myself on the bench.

I have yet to notice any appreciable POI change between lead sled and the field position shooting, in ranges up to 600yds.

There is a lot that I like about load workup with a lead sled. The main thing that I dislike is the containment of the recoil pad, such that the lead sled sits between the recoil pad and my shoulder. This makes me lose the feel of the rifle, if that makes sense. I have toyed with the idea of using a hacksaw to cut away this part of my lead sled.

As many have mentioned, a weighted sled can ruin a stock, so beware.

To the OP’s original question on sight in for a relatively inexperienced shooter. Here is what I recommend (other than lots of practice):

- buy or load at least 40 rounds of the same lot and type of ammo
- practice dry firing from various positions until you consistently know when the trigger is going to break
- find a comfortable and steady position at the shooting range and dry fire some more. Position may be prone off bipod, backpack, seated at bench with bags, bench with lead sled, etc. The point is that the position should be steady enough that the crosshairs move less than, say, 2 inches at 100yds. Ideally 1 inch or less.
- Fire a 5-shot group at whatever range you would like as your zero range. I shoot 200yds. Mark any known fliers, and disregard them. Mark the average POI based upon the 5 shot group
- correct your sights accordingly. Fire another group 3-5 shots to confirm zero
- Shoot a few other groups from field hunting positions to confirm again
- go hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dave99; 07-18-2019 at 08:24 PM.