View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Default 22 lr reloads

so a few summers ago a friend and I wanted to do some plinking with the 22 but the neighbors down the road didn't like the noise.
of course being the bored idiots that we were we thought that seeing as 22 Lr bullets are so easy to pull apart we could just use vise grips to pull the bullet out of the case then "reload" it by dumping out some powder then pressing the bullet back in.
after some trial and error we managed to get some "semi" decent rounds that were quiet yet not slow enough to need to push them out with a cleaning rod yet with enough speed to knock down a can.
this part is where looking back i dont understand how we did not think this was a bad idea. yet for some reason "shorts" were just not good enough for us.
from what i remember the thought process was along the lines of "if shorts work i bet we could make stingers!!!"
long story short we made up a super long and went back into the woods to try out our revolutionary new ammo.
my buddy lined up the lakefeild at a nearby can and fired. there was a verry large BANG! and both me and my friend both looked at each other knowing that something terrible had just gone wrong.
the end result was the lakefeild clip was completely destroyed and had taken on the shape of a small black pear. the ejectors were quite bent and small powder burns on the shooters hand.
hopefully this never happens again. and the good part is it definately helps me remember to pay attention when using real reloading equipment nowadays.