Thread: Advice Please
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Just a few thoughts: (1) Most of the time, fish are interested in subsurface nymphs. This is true even when you might see a few fish rising. The vast majority of my time fishing is with two nymphs on a short line. Turn over a bunch of rocks and try to duplicate size and color of the dominant nymph. Or, talk to the local fly shop about the best nymph options.

(2) I prefer "Jello" water! Water that is at least 2-3 ft deep or more and has a slow to medium riffle. I often take water temps and will not fish if the surface temp is 65f or greater!!!

(3) Try (not easy) to find water that has not been fished hard. That is, good holding water that hasn't been fished for at least a day or two. Keep in mind that a lot of folks tie on a Stimulator dry fly that they fish almost exclusively. Not a bad idea to politely wait for these people to fish through a good pool, rest the pool for 20 minutes and slowly and methodically work a couple of nymphs through the pool. "Take your time".

(4) Try to find windows of opportunity when conditions are favorable. Overcast, humid, days come first on my list! Early mornings and after sundown on bright, sunny days help your chances.

I only get to fish Alberta for about a week a year and believe me that week, no matter how slow the fishing, is far better than the best day at work!