View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM

What happened along the way too how this 30/06 idea came to be.

The last few years I found my self slowing down, and life at times puts too much on the plate, so too limit the masses I juggled things around too fit in lifes thrills.

The one rifle thing took me in many directions, the brand of rifle, cartrage size, bullet selection, what I wanted the rifle too do, and funds of course.

It all started off at 243,,, didn't take long too switch ideas too 25/06 followed by 7mm-08,,, then 308. 270 fit in there as well.

Oh boy, all that thinking had me flopping back and forth many times,,, the World Wide Web brought on the 6.5 Creedmore as I started looking real hard at it as my go too 1 rifle idea. But something didn't click with me on it,,, I'm very sure it would or could do everything I needed it too do at plinking, iron silhouettes and game harvest.

Every time I visited the many sporting good shops I'd see something new, so my mind would switch back to what I was planning or get locked onto lookung at other options.

Lucky I keep a keen eye on quality and price points too find the middle grounds that suit my needs along the way.

YouTube has some awesome information now days as I skimmed the videos and read many Web pages of information on different brands of rifles and calibers,,, I was starting too think that a $350 dollar rifle was close to the $700 up too $1000 units.

One day I came across a sale on a 243 budget rifle in the - $350 range,,, I looked it over the best I could that day. Then left it at that.
The next day I returned with more questions and as too see it one more time.
I took the bolt out and eye balled the riflings,,, things didn't look right in this budget rifle being that it was new.

I flipped it around too look from the other end too soon realize that budget made barrels are what they are,,, as it rolled the rifle and used the shop lighting I could see the in side of the barrel was poorly cut.

There was hash marks in the smooth sections between the rifling cuts,,, tool jumping is what I call it. From front to back a person could see the button tool started jumping in the rifle cut process. I never in all my years thought I'd see something like that with eye sight alone.

I knew from that moment on that the budget rifle would fill the needs of many shooters out there,,, but it was not for me. I looked at 3 more brands too find out they have the same button push barrels, so the Web pages offered lots of info on how rifle barrels are made,,, about a weeks worth of reading told me that I would half too add more funds to get better quality... For my needs at least.

My long time out door friend over the years never mentioned anything about his collection of firearms,,, just happened to be that our conversation about rifles come up, and game harvests in the following years.

I told him that I started looking at a 1 rifle thing for all, and that it started off a year ago on this forum being a simple 30/06. He started to laugh,,, a few minutes later he came from his spare room and handed me a darn near new Ruger 30/06 rifle, my eyes were deffinatly wide open at that point.

His reply was he bought this rifle as a back up firearm 4 years ago, but it did not fit his needs. I'll sell you this rifle if you want it,,, and I'll make it affordable so it ends up being a fair deal for you and I.

Funny how life turns out when we least expect it.

Wow, your kidding me right.
Nopers my friend.
I won't sell you this rifle unit you shoot it, so you decide what fits your needs as its yours for the taking when the time comes.

Wholly crap, I was in over drive mode clearing out my cabinet of too much, and many of my closest friends ended up with some pretty nice firearms as well.

This rifle exchange program was underway all year as I thinned out my heard too make room for this plan in action.
Everyone in this group became winners, and this my friends is how our out-doors activists take place.

Life long friends share in our passions of many things, weather it be camping, fishing, hiking, ohvs, farming, and everything related to living life full.

I never thought that it would take the better part of a year too find my self where I wanted to be in this planning, but now that it's sorted, I'm super thrilled it panned out.

Returning to a 30/06 was a dream of passion, a thought of what could be, and well worth sharing on Alberta's best out-doors forum.

It's my close friends and new friends here that drives our common goals of gooder times no matter what they are.

This thread could of been any caliber or rifle depending on what life throws at us, just happen to be that my dream and plan worked out so far.

Quality, price, and time are factors worth considering, strange that the old saying still stands.

Don