View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 AM
Gone Hunting

My dad arrived in Alberta in 1926 and moved to the Peace River area in 1928.

He talked a lot about his early years in Alberta and the stories he told did not agree with much of what Mr. Geist writes.
Dad told of seeing herds of Deer numbering in the low hundreds in the hill along the Peace River in the early 1930s.
I remember relatively recent game trails in the early 1960s, a foot wide and cut six inches into the soil on the ridge along the valley where we grew up.
There were bleached bison sculls along those trails, bleached but not ancient.

Dad did describe Wolf encounters where the Wolves seemed to be testing him but I never heard him or any of the other trappers talk about any significant wolf attacks on livestock. It did happen but not often and when the big game dissapeared the attacks did not increase from what I heard.

Something else dad talked about that does not mesh with what Mr. Geist writes. Dad talked about how tapping was very profitable for those who knew how to trap.
I know that dad trapped to support his family and I know that dad used trapping income to buy the homestead land and the equipment to work that land.

I also remember Fox pens out behind our cabin. They were used by the trapper who had built that cabin. Dad said that when he arrived in the valley local trappers would trap Fox before the season opened and hold them in pens such as these until they primed up.
He said they made a fortune doing that but it all ended when the rabies plaque wiped out the Fox in 1956.

The stories dad and other trappers told leads me to believe that Mr. Geist is largely right about why the Wolves here do not attack humans.
But I have grave doubts about his knowledge of trapping or of the wildlife populations during the time period he writes about.

I do know this, a great many Europeans came to this country to find adventure and when they did not find it to the degree they desired they embellished their accounts of what they experienced.

Most of us know the truth behind the book Never Cry Wolf. I suspect that Mr. Qeist has fallen for similar writing.
However, it could be that he did not fall for it, maybe he is emulating it.

George Bernard Shaw