View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 01:19 PM
Banned

Skinning and freezing the pelts won't cause you more work and fleshing isn't a whole lot harder after thawing. The skinny ones might dry out a bit but nothing drastic. I'm talking a couple of months at the most, not a year though.

I used to skin and flesh at the same time but sometimes it was just too much work for me and I'd have to spend days at a time in the skinning shed when I could have been hanging snares. The best advice that I've gotten wrt managing my time was from TFNG when he suggested freezing pelts. Now, if I have a lot of coyotes all at once I'll skin them and only flesh as many as I want to do. The rest are rolled up tail to nose and put in a shopping bag in the freezer until I have time to catch up (during super moons ). When I'm ready for fleshing I hang the pelts from the ceiling by the nose and as they thaw they unroll. It doesn't take long to thaw them either.....maybe a couple/few hours at 15 degrees?

Now that the auction dates have changed this is a good arrangement. I generally snare right up until the end of February if the fur is decent. Between the end of February and the last receiving date the third week of March there is plenty of time to put up fur. No more working like a fool to get as many pelts put up for the last receiving date in January.

I do the same with my Spring beaver and muskrats. Since there is no last receiving date in May I put them all up in October.

I find trapping much more enjoyable by managing my time this way.