View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
When I was a kid waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy back when we used to visit friends in Great Falls mt. and they would shoot the carp in the Missouri river with bows equiped with reels attached.

Carp like to eat the scum off the top of ponds and such and that is why a lot of golf courses have them in their ponds. I put large gold fish in my pond every year and they for sure die off in the winter.

I can't see them in Serviceberry creek, I live not far from there and it is so shallow it would freeze solid.

Don't think our climate would support carp. Hope not anyway.
Facts are...they are overwintering...the population is growing...they have been here for at least 5 or more years doing just great. These are not orange goldfish. These are wild carp...very, very hardy and efficient competitors to our native fish.

They are spreading their range. Is it too late to do anything? We need to ask exactly what F&W knows and when they knew it and what their response was. Then we can make a better educated guess.

These are not 30 lb carp...they are smaller...you can't bow hunt this variety. You are likely thinking common carp or grass carp. Different species.

Your hopes are all dashed. They are not going away...at least without a strong push by F&W or an attempt at it.