View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
agreed..... however, in a river system fish disperse so fast, that by the time something is attempted to be done about it, its probably to late..... but yes an attempt should be made. lakes are more less "contained" and easier to deal with....... rivers, with all the other rivers and feeder creeks that they are connected to, (kind of a labernyth of waterways) would make it an impossible feat. from what i understand they are established already with growing numbers?
I agree once a detailed assessment is done if that is indeed the case. If they are fully established in the Red Deer we are doomed now. It is too late and the Bow River is next.

If they are not fully established and the population is getting replenished from the Rosebud system...then I would rotenone the entire system and remove any trace of them in one sustained strike. I would not be bogged down in useless politics or regulations or environmental grandstanding. I would have a large contingent of workers decent...apply throughout. Target any body of water connected. Have potassium permanganate ready at the confluence with the Red Deer. Let them sink or swim in the Red Deer but STOP supplying the population with thousands of new recruits. Sometimes fish can not get established...often stocking occurs over successive years to establish walleye in a lake... Why? Because mother nature fights back to a degree. With that in mind...I hope we don't STUDY the crap out of this problem but rather act and act swiftly. It has been 4 years...surely an invasive species that could impact the whole Saskatchewan drainage is not something to ignore.