View Single Post
Old 06-26-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
The procurement cost is way too steep.

It looks like the military - industrial complex procurement gravy train is alive and well in Canada.

On Jan. 17, 1961, President Dwight Eisenhower gave the nation a dire warning about what he described as a threat to democratic government. He called it the military-industrial complex, a formidable union of defense contractors and the armed forces.

Why not give the Rangers a nice voucher so they can purchase their own rifles and accessories anywhere they want. It would be a great economic shot in the arm for local gun shops and Canadian online gun retailers. An ongoing after sales repair and maintenance contract would also be a great opportunity for qualified gunsmiths to expand the trade and share the gravy.

All this would save the taxpayer a bundle.

Heck, there would be enough money in the proposed procurement to provide the Rangers family with a nice voucher to travel south and go mall shopping while dad goes out and buys his rifle.
They do not supply their own rifles because the Government needs to ensure that all rangers have uniform ammo, many places where the rangers are prevalent have no ready access to ammunition.
They need to have reliable firearms, which can be ( if need be) serviced if need by by an armorer- back to the point about uniform firearms .

The fact that these rifles will likely be way overpriced has nothing to do with how reliable and serviceable they will be.
The Canadian Rangers had a hand in the design and development of this firearm, so in essence they got what the wanted.
Cat