View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
If they don't make it out of the group stage the Argentinians should hide out in Siberia for a while before going home.
After the 3-0 Loss to Croatia, the Argentinian fans are sure to be fired up. I was reading about all the "negative press" this team is getting at home and with such high expectations .... and a 5th place world ranking to boot.

The bottom line is, like I said earlier, the top 20 teams are not as "wide of a gap" as they may have been in years past. Croatia is ranked 20 maybe?

Realistically is you take Messi out of Argentina starting 11 and you are left with 10 of Argentina's best and 10 of Croatia's best and had to choose the 10 best players left on the field you would probably have to pick 7 or even 8 Croats. Anyone who follows football will know they are, one v one, far more recognized players, playing on far stronger clubs in Europe and at the end of the day - probably better overall when looking at it that way. Messi is, unfortunately, the wild card for them. He didn't perform. It's hard to me to admit that, as he's my favorite player, but I have to call it what it was.

Nevertheless - If Messi was on fire - This game could have went the other way - the first team to make a mistake was going to have a tough day - and Argentina, being forced to press late in the game, could have been victim of a few more goals quite easily. Could of been worse.

Argentina will be watching Iceland's game with Nigeria tomorrow and keeping their fingers crossed for a miracle. They need a miracle at this point I think. even if Nigeria "wins" there is one final factor here ...........

Because Croatia has secured a spot, I'd fully expect them to rest their higher valued, or yellow carded players, and play some younger, less skilled and less experienced players, maybe even a backup keeper, and maybe even the coaches second cousin who wants to play. lol.

That makes Croatia an easier target for Iceland in the last game of the group round. That, too, could spell disaster for Argentina and could be the nail in the coffin.

I feel for Argentina. Happy for Croatia.

Last edited by EZM; 06-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.