View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Ok so first of all reels. I prefer Shimano so my choice would be the Nasci over the Battle. To me they are made with higher quality materials and are smoother reels. They have stronger drag too, not that drag matters that much since you will likely never use more then 5 or 6 lbs of drag anyways.

One thing to note is that Penn and Shimano 2500 series reels are not the same size. A Penn 2500 series has roughly the same capacity as a Shimano 3000.

Now for capacity, here in AB a 2500 series is more then enough as is 15 lb line. For something to use in SW you probably want a 3000 series and 20 lb line. 3000 series comes with a different handle style which some people like and some people don't so that is worth looking at to see what you think. 2500 and 3000 shimano reels are the same size and pretty much the same weight, the only difference is a higher capacity spool.

Not sure what kind of saltwater you were thinking of but a 3000 series Nasci with 20 lb power pro would work as light salmon gear, inshore fishing in Florida(redfish, seatrout, snook etc) and very light nearshore fishing.

For line I would definitely go with power pro super slick, it is far superior to spider wire. A 150 yard spool of 15 lb power pro super slick fills up a 2500 series Shimano almost perfectly. Similarly a 150 yard spool of 20 lb power pro super slick fills a 3000 series Shimano.

I have never seen or used an Abu Garcia Vendetta but I would probably go with the Ugly Stik Elite instead. I prefer 7' over 6'6 in most situations as you get a bit more casting distance and the rod fights the fish more. If you plan on doing SW fishing you want a rod that is rated for SW, I don't think either are but the Ugly Stik does use stainless steel guides and I know some people use them in SW. Medium power will get the job done here in AB but will be on the light side for most SW fishing so a MH may be worth looking at/considering.