View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Buck 110 with SV30 steel is hard to beat as an all round hunting and utility knife. There is a very good reason hundreds of thousands of them have been sold. I have carried one for 40 years, carried buck full length blades before that, and despite having MANY MANY other knives with me most times, it is the one that gets far and away the most use.

My two hunting partners are exactly the same and both of them also have some really high end custom knives, but their 110s do most of the work, unless we are actually cutting up meat for packaging.
IMO the 420 HC that buck currently uses is a pretty good steel. After dressing and skinning a deer or two my 110 or 112 need only a minor touch up to bring them back to shaving sharp. I think that for most hunting that's as hard as a steel needs to be, a few swipes on the steel between animals is pretty minimal upkeep.

I have used my 110 to quarter a moose once, and I did need to re-sharpen during the operation. I could see the SV30 being a better blade if you're going to do this kind of thing regularly. For that reason I prefer my Grohman or an old carbon steel Western knife that I inherited from my grandfather. Both these knives are easy to sharpen with basic tools and will quarter a big animal without needing a touch up.