Thread: Cortland 333
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Pike......

I read the articles and frankly for most trout fishing a DT line that works at 30' is the best choice. Why, it roll casts better, able to cast a larger range of flies, able to do a variety of casts like reach, tuck and curves.
WF lines are distance lines or lines designed to carry a lot of weighted flies. I use them for pike flies and bass bugs.
I use one long belly WF for long leadering chironomids. This is a Sci An.
ultimate trout.
I agree, I'm mostly a stream fisherman and find DT lines more forgiving and easier to handle for shorter distance casting. Also like that when one end is worn out, reverse the line and use the 'new' end without having to buy another line, For my purposes it's two new lines in one. Only problem is I find fewer DT lines on the store shelves as time goes by, I believe for that very reason. Haven't seen a 'Level' line in decades, which is what I started out with 45 years ago and used them for years, I couldn't afford more than $7 for a line, found them serviceable for what I used them for. I didn't find an overly huge advantage in presentation or catch rates when switching to DT or WF lines. I think we often get caught up in the keeping up with the Jones's mentality of buying $125 lines because it somehow might make you a better fisherman.