View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Have a look at the dam ballistic charts and read up on the specs Hornady printed about the 143gr ELDX. Man, your knocking something you have no clue about. Just a little research on your part would save a lot of back and forth.

From reading your posts it's clear your running down the wrong tracks.

It is not my intent to try and shoot an animal at long range, the closer the better.

I don't think the Creedmoor is the best long range rifle available.

All of the big game I have killed have been under 600yds.

The criteria for my latest rifle was as follows:

Short action
Capable of a wide variety of hunting, coyote to moose out to 600yds max.
Low recoil
Long barrel life because I plan on putting a pile of lead through the pipe.
Cheap ammo.

With this list, and a pile of research, being that it's a custom rifle and I reload, I was able to chose literally any cartridge produced. Based on my requirements the 6.5 Creedmoor fit the bill perfectly.

Have you ever shot a big game animal at 400-500yds with a 143gr ELDX out of your swede?
So all your talk about how more efficient 6.5CM is beyond 600 yards is a moot point. From muzzle to 600 yards even the poor bc 30 cal bullets launched from a 308 win have more energy and more muzzle velocity. 270 win and 3006 both beat the 308. There are plenty of popular hunting cartridges that beat the 308 win for energy and velocity. Except 6.5CM is not one of them.

You are clearly swayed by being recoil sensitive and that is fine for you. If someone wants a: Short action
Capable of a wide variety of hunting, coyote to moose out to 600yds max.
Low recoil
Long barrel life because I plan on putting a pile of lead through the pipe.
Cheap ammo.

Get a recoil pad for your shoulder. 308 win beats it on every point other than recoil. And recoil is a direct result if putting energy into a projectile. A larger caliber with similar bullet weights allows for faster powders burning in the barrel resulting in more energy going down range.

You have argued for an uncountable number of posts on multiple threads about how happy you are with the performance of the 6.5CM because it finally surpasses 308 velocity and energy past 600 yards and it is all BS. Everyone agrees that the hornady eld-x 143 grain 6.5 bullet takes the lead past 600 yards. Everyone else agrees that both the 308 win and the 6.5CM have run out of hunting energy and velocity also at 600 yards. 6.5CM is nothing but a paper puncher past 600 yards or a recoil sensitive handicap hunting cartridge if 308 is too much to handle. It has slightly lower muzzle velocities and smaller lighter bullets.

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-16-2018 at 09:31 AM.