View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I put a stand up a few years back in an area I hunt Whitetails south of Fort McMurray. It’s in a pretty out of the way spot that I hadn’t seen any sign of 2-legged activity in, so I thought it was as good a spot as any.

I walked in one morning and low and behold there is someone sitting in it. I waved from a hundred yards away and turned around to walk into another spot. As I started walking I heard a fawn bleat so I turned around. Buddy in my stand was waving and started to climb down. I waited a bit and he walked over to me. He asked if it was my stand and I said it was. He said he had walked in from the other direction the day before and busted a decent buck out of his bed, right in the middle of the small cutblock we were in. He then saw my stand so he decided to come back the next day and hunt from it, hoping the buck came back.

I figured he had a plan so I told him of another area not far away that I’d walk into and sit for the morning if he wanted to go back up into the stand. I let him know I wouldn’t come back through that particular cutblock again that day.

I was gone an hour or so when I heard a shot coming from the same direction as my stand. I wondered if buddy got his buck but didn’t run into him again that day. The next set of days off I was back in to pull my stand out and there was a ziplock sandwich bag taped to the seat with $50 bucks in it and a short note saying that buddy shot a nice 4x4 Whitetail not long after I left. He thanked me again for letting him continue to hunt the stand and noted he was leaving $50 so that I could buy a bottle of my choosing in return.

I could have chosen to just be pi$$ed off that day, but why? I don’t own the area and if anyone deserved that deer it was the guy who got it after busting him the day before. Life’s too short to worry about such things.

Good for you on at least 2 counts. You intended to remove your stand and you recognize public land is public land. A lot of entitled slobs dont bother with either.