View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I will also say that the most important piece of equipment when shooting skeet, is your safety glasses and a hat. I have been hit with broken pieces of clays a few times, usually shooting from the low house position. When the high house clay is coming over you can get peppered pretty good. My unico actually has a 'battle scar' on the stock from taking a jagged chunk. My friend got a piece in the head, not wearing a hat, and it drew blood. Strange but true.
Nobody is allowed to shoot skeet on our range without safety glasses, and the broken clays are not the only threat, I have been struck by pellets, that hit hard enough to leave a mark. One pellet actually left a mark in the lens of my shooting glasses. It's hard to believe until you experience it, but pellets can come back 180 degrees. The theory that makes the most sense to me, is that a pellet can strike the inside of the clay at the right angle, and run around the rim and come back the way it came. I was also at a sporting clays shoot , where the owner was standing beside us 25 yards away from where the target was broken, and a pellet that ricocheted drew blood on his arm. And yet some people show up to shoot without safety glasses, or show up with dark sunglasses, and then take them off, because they are too dark to see the clays. One shooter refused to wear safety glasses, until he was given the option of wearing them or leaving. And it's not just the shooters that are at risk, if someone comes along to watch, they should also be wearing eye protection.