View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You can start your scouting with google earth and sat photos but the only way to confirm is get boots on the ground and check for sign. I have walked into areas that look amazing habitat wise only to find them void of life

Overtime you will realize the good concentrations of deer are in pockets. You can only narrow down good pockets by putting in the time learning an area. I am sitting in a stand in an area I would say mostly sucks but this pocket is good. I found a few really good pockets amongst km’s of really poor deer numbers from lots of scouting.

Research good deer habitat and start exploring burning boot leather. Don’t worry about physically seeing deer but look for sign. I start late spring and don’t stop till winter.

I am hunting public land out west and there is deer but you have to find them in km’s of bush
That's the next step in my "desktop review" - from "Where am I allowed to hunt?" to "Is this location suitable for hunting?" Essentially making a list of places, studying them from numerous maps, then visit in person to physically observe and make it to where you are one day with really knowing the area(s) by putting the time in.

With your presence in the area of which you hunt nearly all year round, do you feel the animals might become accustomed to you being there and accept it? Likely spook off to never return? Or some combination of both?