View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Desktop research on possible hunting areas

Hey all,

Just joined the forum minutes ago. Located in Edmonton, this is my third hunting season, so pretty green and lots to learn still. First season around I went with some older, more experienced folks (friend's uncle & aunt), and last season went to the same location on my own with a friend. I figure it's time to explore new areas to hunt, but having a hell of a time nailing down possible areas to go without physically going there to determine if it is/isn't possible.

I do not know any land owners for permission, so I am primarily looking at Public Grazing Reserve land (PGR's) and other public areas to hunt. Government of Alberta has a mapping tool to use in conjunction with information from albertaparks.ca... but I still don't have confidence that I am finding acceptable places to go hunt white tail on a general tag. Tried calling multiple offices and all just go to answering machines, haven't had a single one call back.

We could just fall back on going to the same place we've been at for the past few years (one buck and one wild boar in ~20 days of hunting total over the two seasons, probably moderate to higher pressure in that area), but it would be nice to go explore new areas further north.

Thoughts?