View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 11:39 AM

Start cow calling in late Sept, see what answers. Our first trip out on my sons tag and we called a nice 4 yr old bull to 12 yrds. The wind is your best friend or enemy.

Make sure your out there as much as possible during the rut. I found sitting in areas with good sign and lightly calling was better than sneaking around. Seemed like every time we decided to "check" another area(cause we got tired of sitting), the trail cam showed moose came by after we snuck out. Bulls can be so quiet coming in, sometimes all you hear is their antler hitting a branch or a branch breaking when they step.

Use a Birch call from CT, they carry further and has a deeper sound. When the bull is coming and he won't commit, use the grunt to make him think he has competition. Sometimes you have to grunt and walk straight to them if nothing else is working.

My friend uses those wood Moose paddles and they work great when a bull is close. Have a range finder. Practice practice practice to get comfortable shooting further out with the bow.

Now you got me all excited. Good thing 2 friends have a moose draw this year and I will most likely be on a couple rut hunts with them. Love when you hear that first grunt and know he is coming in.

Good luck with your hunt