View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM

Depends what you are after. I waited 7 years to pull my first bull tag in a zone with many 50” bulls and a legitimate shot at 60”...the only time I’ve ever really trophy hunted....with one bow zone cow moose under my belt. Passed a bunch of small ones and a few 30”s. Drew on 3 shooters never had a clean shot, followed an absolute monster for 3 days. Killed a wt doe and spike buck for meat in the last week of nov. No moose. Nearly threw my bow in the river.

What I learned:
-they don’t have to care about any terrain. They will go up/over/through anything.
-They will ALWAYS circle down wind of the caller. As far as they can, often 2-300 yards. Makes solo bow hunting very difficult.
-they will bed with the wind covering their back, and facing where they can see
- they will always j-hook before bedding and watch their back trail.
-when you find good fresh sign, figure out the wind, walk very slow and use your binos. Often they hang in the same area for a few days.
-you can draw when they are looking at you. The won’t spook the way deer do
- do not try to call a bull onto a narrow cutline or trail. When he comes out he will either be facing towards or away-no shot. Get into the bush 20-50 yards where it thins out and you have shooting lanes.
-the little guys act rutty first. The big guys only show up in peak rut, first week of oct.
-moose run towards water when spooked. If you’re hunting by water, you’d better have a way to get one out.

This year I have a bull tag and the first legal bull will get it.