View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 09:35 AM

I often shoot from prone with a bipod. I tend to use the bipod only as a gentle rest while shooting either prone or seated, depending on the bipod length. Even with heavy recoiling cartridges, my non-dominant hand has a firm grip on the bottom of the sling or the toe of the butt and pushing the butt into my shoulder. I find all the recoil comes straight back, no barrel jump. I do not attempt to dig the bipod feet into the ground and load any forwards torque on the stud and stock. My shooting position, through pulling the butt tightly into my shoulder and balancing the rifle's position with my non-dominant hand significantly negates any bounce and controls the recoil.

Only with my lightweight rifle, if I ever have a bipod mounted, do I ever attempt to hold the rifle down, by holding the one bipod leg with my non-dominant hand. With the light stock, I have to be extremely careful to not add any torque or loaded pressure to the bipod feet as the stock will flex and add pressure to the barrel somewhere in the channel and send a bullet way off from the point of aim.