View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Not so much related to the Salmon news thread, but discussion has involved risks of eating Seafood so I thought I'd include this News Release from today;

BC PROVINCIAL HEALTH AUTHORITIES UPGRADE

CANADIAN ALBACORE TUNA

Issues related to the safety and nutrition of seafood are of considerable concern to both governments and the public at large. For years there has been a concern related to Mercury contamination in seafood, especially those longer lived, larger species such as shark, swordfish, tile fish, and some tunas. In recognition of the abundance of accumulated data related specifically to Canadian Albacore Tuna, the BC Ministry of Health and the BC Centre for Disease Control recently revised, and upgraded, their recommendations related to limits for consumption of Canadian Albacore Tuna to “NO LIMITS” in all categories.
http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68m.stm

In British Columbia, we are in a unique position in that our Albacore Tuna fleet captures young (2-3 years of age) fish almost exclusively, at a unique time in their live before they have accumulated any significant amount of background mercury. In fact, our BC/Canadian albacore tuna, as well as those caught along the Pacific Coast of North America, have for years consistently tested amoungst the lowest in the world for mercury in albacore tunas.

As stated in the new recommendations:

Fish is part of a healthy diet. Fish provides many nutrients such as protein, while being low in saturated fat. Fish also provides healthy omega-3 fats, which are good for your heart and brain. Omega-3 fats are important especially for the brain and eye development of babies and children. Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide recommends at least 2 servings of fish each week for children 2 years of age and older and for adults.

I know that I'll be trying to catch Albacore this fall if we get them close enough, and don't hesitate to eat them. I Cold smoked 80 lbs of it last fall and it is awesome. If you have never tried it, you should...

J.