View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Default vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
How many of you guys out there like to shoot the old school vintage stuff?
I expect Cat to chime in, cause he got me into these dang hammer guns for upland (I think that was about 16 guns ago now).
I'm not just talking Grandpa's 30-30 here, but real old-school black powder cartridge rifles (BPCR's) and shotguns, and anything with hammers.
It seems the trend is for semi-auto 3 1/2" shotties, and tupperware rifles designed to shoot 1000 yards, that require a two day course to figure out how to make it work.
I am SOOO uncomfortable with a semi, that I cant even enjoy myself while packing one in the field. I cant break it open to cross a fence, jump a ditch, or crawl through the thick stuff chasing dogs. The break-actions are too ingrained into me anymore. But, to each his own.
This last year, I was determined to really christen an old SXS hammergun for big game. It is a BPCR in 577/500no2 (I know, sounds like quite a pedigree, right?) that shoots duplex loads and a 360 gr paper-patched bullet that we cast ourselves. Obviously open sights, and my bi-focal prescription makes that a challenge in itself. I had previously shot a couple of spring blackbears with the old cannon, and this year was successful in using it for my moose and whitetail tags. I know I should be good out to 200 yds with it, but I try to keep it within half that distance. In the heavy bush, this shouldn't even be an issue.
Bringing these old shooters out of the closet and putting them back in the field where they belong brings me a lot of enjoyment. The satisfaction in shooting game with hand-cast bullets, and loads that we have had to develop ourselves is a real treat. Incidently, if you are wondering about bullet performance, I have never recovered one! On a broadside or even slightly quartering shot, the bullets have all sailed right through,even on my moose.
How many others out there like to go old-school?
Interested to here any experiences from other members about hunts using guns of yesteryear.
can you imagine packing my highwalls with the #4 & #5 barrels, it would be a short spot and stalk. by the way I am out of 45-90 reloads. also you have my rolling block it's shot a lot of badgers.