View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
OK here's what I don't get. Someone here states his beliefs on a subject. Someone else disagrees and asks for proof. That's what this board is all about. Personally I would try to find my own proof and post that but whatever. Person #1 provides the proof that person #2 asks for. A couple of times actually. Now person #2 doesn't like that proof so is asking for more or different proof. To top it all off somebody else throws in comments that are so not even remotely close to comparable it is laughable at best. This has been a good read. Lets keep it going.

Also guys, its OK to be informed and change an opinion or modify that opinion if there is evidence to support it. If someone can provide enough evidence, I'll be man enough to say I was wrong.

Clakjp. So does an FMJ not have any energy? One would assume that a pill of same diameter (say .308), weight (say 165) and speed (say 2850 fps) would have the same energy when it strikes the animal regardless of the bullet construction. If this hydrostatic wave theory is true, the FMJ should start a wave and destroy as much as the standard hunting bullet. Since it doesn't, then we are back to the idea of a temporary wound cavity bouncing back and the opening bullet simply destroying more tissues as it blows on thru. At least that's the way I see it.

I shoot a .257 Roberts and a 7MM Rem mag. The 7 is pushing 140 grain pills at 3200 fps. The 1/4 bore is pushing 100 grain pills at 3000ish fps. The 7 obviously has way more energy and in theory a bigger shock wave. Why is it that almost all of the deer I shoot with the bigger gun go farther than the little gun? Almost every deer shot with that .257 Roberts dies instantly. Bang flop! The deer shot with the 7 never go far, usually less than 40 yards, but they are rarely bang flops.

There's one to ponder for you. Yes shot placement is the same for me. I always aim for the lung area.
Cowtown Yes your 7 has way more energy but if you have a fmj all of the energy ib=n that bullet punch a small perfect hole in and out with no energy TRANSFER.As for the expanding bullet (lead style) expaned and transfer a lot of energy from the bullet to the animal also causing a great wound cavity.