View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
We don't have hog's out west but lots of gophers. I shoot 25gr. V-max out of mine (CZ).. Zero walking wounded, better trajectory, fights the wind a bit better then either the 15.5 or 20gr. pills.

I have shot a couple of coyotes at 175yds and 25yds (older pups 25# or so) with the 20 grain factory rounds and they work very well. IF I were shooting only factory stuff then 20 gr. is the ticket..Reloads 25gr. only.

Buy a single shot follower from James Calhoon about a 100 bucks but well worth the money...enjoy the rifle...it is a great rifle/caliber combo.
Hey 6.5~I did buy one of those from James Calhoon, at someone's suggestion here. Beautiful pc. for sure. I only tried it a few times, but didn't find the rounds fed smoothly from it. The bolt would begin to push the round forward but then it seems like the angle is too severe...and the tip of the bullet partially jams before it enters the chamber. Tried a slower bolt travel, a faster one, various "start" points on the adapter itself (fore/aft)..doesn't seem to make a difference.

As for the loads~I worked-up some 25gr. loads, a pretty wide selection actually. (data is at home, I'm not) Barely held 1" @ 100 yards. 20gr shot best from my factory ammo too, so I focussed on that for the hand loads. No disappointment so far, but I also don't have coyote plans for this rifle.