View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
Also have a Wheeler Engineering Professional kit with a grid as well. What I do not like is the way it affixes to the muzzle. It has a very strong magnet that "snaps" onto the muzzle as soon as you get it close to the muzzle. The magnet is also a fairly large diameter and is hard to center on the muzzle. Instructions state it does not need to be dead center but I like to be as accurate as possible. I cut a piece of circular thick paper the same diameter as the magnet and taped it to the magnet. I drew a circle on the paper spacer the same diameter as the muzzle and try to center it the best I can. I do not want to damage the muzzle or the finish on the barrel if the magnet "snaps" onto the muzzle. Not exactly easy to use but once you get it centered it seems to work good.
I also use the Wheeler Engineering Magnet Laser (in green) and I put it on the muzzle, set the rifle up and set the scope onto a paper target 50 yards out (laser is clear up to 100 but 50 seems to be sharper).

At 100 yards, first shot is generally within a couple inches, 3" at worst, .....works fast, easy and is accurate on all my rifles. Do it once and don't have hold your breath trying to track your scope. lol.

I tried doing the "look through the bore thing" but honestly, it takes much longer and the result is "I will likely get it on paper at 100" but the accuracy isn't even close to the Wheeler. I also don't like the fact you have to be extra careful not to bump/move anything as I go back and forth and have to set, and re-set doing it a few times until I'm happy with it.

I'm sure more seasoned vets might get better than that, but for a simpleton like me, I like the ease, accuracy, and simplicity of the Wheeler.