View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 11:56 AM

So much to catch up on here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
So when a rifle Hunter posts an inappropriate reaction to hunting an animal....do they stand behind him?

What about a black powder Hunter?

What about a crossbow Hunter?

What about a compound Bowhunter?

What about a traditional Bowhunter?

I feel that all tools should have a published minimum requirement (like many already do) to be deemed a legal hunting tool.

I think we can agree in the case of the speared bear that the bear was taken ethically (Hunter possessed the skills) and clean (bear died quickly as a result of the spear).

So take the tool out of the equation, and take the emotional response out of the reaction and the depiction video of the hunt and what do you end up with.

A Hunter who legally and ethical took a bear, recovered it in a timely fashion when it was safe to do so....the rest is open to OPINION. So now implement some minimum standards and you have a Hunter who legally and ethically took a bear in a timely fashion when it was safe to do so with an approved tool.

I disagree with the AFGA in supporting a ban...I think this could have been an opportunity to educate people on hunting and that we want to have a set of guidelines for all tools used in hunting. I think that would be the appropriate response. These are my personal thoughts only.

LC
And I agree with your opinion, with and addition that Baiting Bears will be next on the anti-hunting hit list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toromir View Post
Next to be banned - Bows.
Nope, baiting bears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
But it did not get DONE did it, this issue was brought up years ago and other provinces were ahead of the issue. Thus why he did not do it in BC... first no baiting and a spear is not in the definition of legal hunting equipment.

Furthermore the Alberta definition of archery is archaic as well and is meant for longbows... not fixed draw length bows, technically it would be illegal to use a bow that draws less than 28" in Alberta.

"This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head" How do you draw a 28" arrow to its head with a 26" fixed draw length bow?...

I know it is a technical detail but that is how we get caught unprepared because of lack of attention to details... that is what lawyers are paid to look for, details that were not paid attention to.
For starters. Spear Hunting is LEGAL in B.C.

Archery regulations, and firearm regulations are NOT specific enough to eliminate any aspects of achieving desired weapon function.

Those 30-30 bullets don't have a minimum fps....

An archer is NOT required to draw any length before releasing the arrow....

In the end, it comes down to the personal actions of the hunter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Will the spear actually be banned, probably not, my guess is we will finally see the definition of legal hunting equipment incorporated into the legislation. Long overdue and consisted with almost every other province in Canada.
Yes, the spear will be banned in Alberta, but fortunately still legal in other provinces. The Premier's office sent an ORDER to F&W Policy to do so. Dear Leader has heard the internet people speak, and Dear Leader has spoken.

Huh....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."