View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 06:54 AM
Gone Hunting

A few years ago I tacked a Deer hide from the seasons take to a tree and let the birds pick it clean.

I had figured on tanning that hide and I figured I could feed some birds and save myself a bit of work in the process.
Well the birds did their part but the hide freeze dried so I put it in the garage and forgot about it.

The next summer someone was looking for fly tying material and I remembered that hide. So I offered to trim off a bit for his fly tying and toss in other material like Grouse feathers and squirrel tails I had laying around.

But again I forgot and when it came to mind months later I had lost the messages with his name and contact information.

And so it is today. The hide is still good and still waiting for me to do something, anything, with it.

I tell this story to illustrate that it doesn't take tanning or a lot of work to preserve a hide and to caution others on good intentions and the effect age has on ones memory abilities and energy levels.

George Bernard Shaw