View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokajoe View Post
Salt , borax and alum mixture will cure your hide but not tan it. The borax helps keep bug away. I usually cut pieces about 8 in square from different parts of the hide or the whole skin if a muskrat or similar. use some brads or finishing nail to stretch the piece out fur side down on a piece of plywood. clean off any obvious meat or fat. Rub in the mixture and apply fairly heavy. Leave for a day or so . When you check it , it will probably have some fluid on the surface.Soak this up with a rag and reapply mixture. Leave for a week or so. Make sure you let it air dry. Good to use after that. Remember to use different parts of the skin.Hair off the lower legs is way different than the stuff off the back. Don't forget the ears. Great wing material there for smaller patterns.
Fur from tanned hides is ultimately easier to store and use,,,, but I understand the desire to utilize fur from an animal you harvested yourself. I have done this many times as well.

Ponoka Joe's post is an excellent treatise on how to prepare your hide. I would add that if you can negotiate for a bit of freezer space, you will have far less long term storage issues (no need for smelly mothballs). I seal my dried pieces of untanned hide with fur and feathers in zip lock bags with paper towels against the skin and place in a cardboard box in a corner of the freezer. I have hide pieces going back 25 years in that box that are still good to pluck a feather or clip a chunk of hair from.