View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 01:48 PM

I am guessing that you are using too large of lures, not sure what size spoons/spinners you are using though.

The fish may be deeper in the water column, most of those lures will retrieve in the top couple feet unless you are retrieving them extremely slow in which case the action is often compromised. Usually fish hang out at the bottom and when they are surfacing usually they are targeting something specific so unless you can match the hatch casting at said fish is usually not productive.

Unless they are browns or big rainbows you will also have limited success using minnow lures like rapalas, spoons, spinners. Some of those lures work decent on overstocked ponds full of starving rainbows but I find they are usually less effective in more natural settings unless you use the smallest sized ones but then they are tough to cast and don't go deep enough without added weights which usually messes up the action.

I would try out some more flies/nymphs, different depths and probably easiest way to consistently catch fish is to get into fly fishing and find someone that knows how to fish the bow to give you some pointers.