View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Well Strathcona County has done it, there are prescribed no shooting zones all over the county. Its confusing to many, even the police that enforce it. Many places that meet the 200 yard requirements were one could safely discharge a firearm but are off limits thanks to the county. While you may be able to challenge it in court, is it worth it to fling a few arrows in your garage? People have been charged and convicted under these bylaws. My previous neighbor received a large fine for shooting his pellet gun out the window of his home. You may not end up with a criminal record over it but it will still cost you.
There are also many what Ill call blanket laws that could apply as well, such as those that state something like"...... dangerous to the public...... " that could get you in trouble as well. Remember, it only takes one arrow to leave your property to get you in a world of legal troubles. The snowflakes are everywhere, it only takes one phone call from them to cause you problems.
Yes, that is what I am saying.

This is how it hierarchy of Canadian law works and in this case...

1. Criminal Section 86(1), Careless Use of a Firearm or Section 88 Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose.
2. Provincial Regulations. For Alberta 200 yard rule and no discharge at night, different in other provinces.
3. Municipal Bylaw. Different for each municipality.

So in the case of Strathcona County, they added to the restrictions by way of a bylaw and restricted firearm use even in area where the 200 yard rule can be adhered to. What the bylaw could not do is say that the 200 yard as minimum was not in effect. The same the provincial statue could not say that Sec 86 of the C.C. does not apply.

So if someone is shooting a bow in Alberta they must first adhere to the provincial regulation of 200 yards and then apply any bylaws that are specific to their area. Where I live in Leduc County there is no bylaws in relation to firearm/weapon use so I only have to apply the 200 yard rule.