View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
I DID NOT find this with the Navamii app! Full search function while not using data!

My wife used MapMe and found the same thing!! Again we used both these apps walking and driving all through Ireland and Scotland! SUPER slick and NO WiFi needed!!
Google maps down loaded for use offline is what I was talking about. People claim Google maps is far superior to any dedicated GPS system and in terms of the amount of ancillary info available on Google maps they are entirely correct. Because it is tied to Google's very powerful web search tool it provides far more location, business, restaurant, hotel etc info than any stand alone GPS can.

Some of the APPs you can get do in fact give you full GPS capability on your smart phone, but they have the same limitations as the Garmin and other maps as to amount of info embedded in them. If you have a large or unlimited data plan, the Google maps system is far and away the best info source for traveling but data out of your home country can become really expensive very fast and this is where standalone GPS or the Apps come into play. The bigger screen is really nice, unless you are running Google on a tablet or Pad.

One of place dedicated high end GPS like Garmin really shines and is far superior to Google is in lane choices, exits etc in really complicated road systems like LA, Montreal and place with multi lane freeways. They set you up for success well in advance and when you have exits right, centre and left on a freeway their detailed road information is a real safety benefit and time saver. They also have red light cameras and speed zones built into them and this is very handy for driving in strange territory.

You can get Google to do 80% of the navigation work the Garmin does but Garmin is still way out front on the driving part of the application.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.