View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Default Kubota "Grey Market" tractors

SMALL JD is Yanmar, so very good Japanese Tractor, like Kubota.

In the used market there are a lot of "Grey Market" tractors. This means a 15 yr old + tractor from the Japanese Rice Farms, which are low hours, and tall skinny tires, for going through Rice Fields.

After 15 yrs, Japanese law requires a lot of things to be scrapped, which is where the Grey Market comes from.

I have a Kubota LT 292 / LT 2000 Grey Market. 4 Speed PTO is the give away. Not on North American product. No Power steering, but front wheel assist ( 4 x 4). NA tractors are Horse Power. Asian Tractors are Kilowatts. (29 hp = 20 kw)

Dealers hate these things, as they are sold cheap. Most are low hours, and you can get great deals. Kubota USA was able to stop the Import, but still lots coming into the Canadian market.

Go on Tractors.com and look up the NA equivalent HP and the parts are readily available from the dealer. (ie LT 292 = LT 2000).

The LT Kubotas actually have a solid frame, and are 25 + hp. You will need the power for the tiller, and the bucket.

There was an outfit in Onaway called "goodusedtractors.com". I Did not buy from him, but he was reputable, and very knowledgeable.

Nothing wrong with JD or Kubota or Yanmar. All are light years ahead of the competition.

Remember there is no fluid in the tires, and the buckets will tip the tractor if full of sand. Run with the bucket as low to the ground as possible when full or wet material.

If you buy older, look into installing a roll bar kit if one is not on it. I still need to put one on mine. Make sure it is the hinged variety so you can get it in the garage / shipping container, etc.

Drewski