View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I think your problem was with the pelt being wet too long throughout the tanning process and that caused the hair to slip. It could be too long in the salt bath too. It was probably not the best idea to flesh with a power washer and then wash it afterwards. I always start with a dry pelt that I just fleshed, whether it was just skinned or thawed out from the freezer.

Follow the instructions on the bottle to a “T”, don’t add anything to it and it should work fine.

1. Flesh......salt for 24 hours. Flesh.....salt for 24 hours. Flesh one last time.
2. Prepare a salt bath and put coyote pelt in for 6 to 8 hours.
3. Thin skin by removing any remaining membrane.
4. Wash in lukewarm water with dish detergent. (I use baby shampoo followed by a rinse in lukewarm water).
5. Hang to dry fur. (I fold hide on hide ensuring that no hide is exposed so it doesn’t dry up and put a fan on it to dry the hair)
6. Once the fur is pretty much dry, warm the formula and apply it to the hide.
7. Fold the pelt hide on hide for 12 to 16 hours.
8. Unfold and board so it dries in the right form.
9. Other than working the hide to make it more pliable, that’s pretty much the jest of it. (I don’t bother with that as you’ll never get it garment quality and most of my tanning this way is just for wall hangers).

You’re welcome to drop by the skinning shack sometime to pick up little tips/tricks.
It's a very good advise, really appreciated