View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
I am not yet a sheep hunter, but the last few months I have created a workout schedule that should help me spend more time hunting and on the mountain. I use a 45 pound sandbag in my pack (in a dry bag so I don't get sound all over the gym) and do one endurance ruck and one intense ruck a week (currently doing the stair master without the pack but will be adding it soon, probably a lighter weight). This goes along with plenty of other cardio during the week i.e. running. I started with 25lbs but I knew I wanted to get to 40-50 (i.e. a little heavier than my standard pack with no meat).

One thing I have come across in my research is that at the end of the day, heavy weight in your pack following a successful hunt will always feel like heavy weight, even if you train with 80 -100 pound bags every day, its just heavy. Also, that training everyday with 80 - 100 pound pack may do more harm than good. Meat on your back is going to be heavy, there is no way around that, its going to suck, but at the end it feels great. I have packed a couple of critters out from a few KM back, and know the feeling. You just need to make sure your buddy is conditioned correctly to get that meat to the truck safely.

I try to train all muscle groups equally, but try and get lots of core workouts in throughout the week. Also pay special attention to legs, back, and STRETCHING. I also sacrifice weight for more reps, get those muscles screaming and build up that endurance.

The Hunt Backcountry Podcast has a great rucking episode if you are thinking about trying training with weighted pack: https://exomountaingear.com/132/
I will check out that episode, great podcast. Just listening to some of the sheep episodes right now. Will check out the ruck one.

I was thinking of starting at 50lbs or so, but with really short duration hikes on steep terrain. I live by the Calgary river valley and would start with 30min. up and down and slowly build from there.